Long gone are the days when we rushed home in fear of missing our favorite TV programs. Imagine telling someone in 1970 that fifty years later we had remarkable control over what, when, and how we watched TV and films. That we could pause live TV if the phone rang, download content to watch when out and about, record several shows at once whilst watching another, play games that have been conveniently bought from a store via the TV screen, and stream shows, films, and boxsets as we wished. The 1970 person would think we were talking nonsense, and yet this is our wonderful reality. When you have a smart TV the world of entertainment is your domain and the TV helps you to make the most of your opportunities. Instead of a Director-General of the BBC, you can be the Director-General of Smarter TV.
Android TV arrived on the market in 2015 and it is Google’s sophisticated but user-friendly smart TV platform. It’s evolved as the technology and viewers’ needs have; it performs at optimum levels. It utilizes Google’s Android operating system which is used by consumers globally each day on their tablets and smartphones. Google Android is also integrated into watches and cars.
Why is it special?
Competitors including Amazon Fire and Roku offer alternatives but why not work with the well known superior performance Android. As you already trust it, there’s no risk. Google has partnered with leading manufacturers like Sony, Philips, TCL, and Humax Direct to deliver the best entertainment experience to consumers.
Integrated into the TV’s for exceptional performance and user experience, you have Google Chromecast, Google Assistant, and Google Play Store. Immediately, this gives you access to over 500000 shows via Assistant and 5000 apps and games on Play Store. View your own media files and enjoy music streaming through a voice command.
You can add products like gaming controllers and soundbars if you want to but these are not essential.
In November 2020 Humax Direct launched a new 4K recorder which is unique in the marketplace. It is the only recorder with Freeview Play pre-installed. This delivers freedom, convenience, and cutting edge technology to you at a competitive price.
The newly released Humax AURA UHD Freeview Play 4K Recorder key attributes are:
- It is powered by Android TV.
- Easy to install and set up.
- Just needs an aerial and an internet connection.
- Unrivaled user experience; excellent page and menu layouts, search options, and navigation.
- Voice control operation.
- Enjoy the ability to pause, record and rewind live TV.
- Freeview Play offers access to over 85 channels. 15 of these are HD.
- There’s a 7 Day on-screen TV guide.
- Freeview has a new accessible TV guide with filters for text to speech, audio description, sign language, and subtitles on channel 555.
- Google Assistant and Chromecast are built-in.
- Record 4 shows at the same time whilst watching a 5th.
- Incredible storage for 1000 hours of recorded content with the 2 Terabyte model and 500 hours with the 1 terabyte model.
- Set up recordings and reminders simply.
- The Aura app streams show to different devices.
- Watch streamed live and recorded content via the Humax Aura app.
- Download content to the app to watch on the go.
- Media server, plug, and play USB.
- 2 USB’s.
- Has 3 tuners.
- A 2-year warranty.
What are the UK’s best streaming services?
Netflix is normally at the top of the list for overall customer experience but, be warned, they no longer offer a free 30-day trial. Which? surveys revealed that Netflix is perceived as better than Amazon Prime for new and updated content but Now TV, Sky’s service with passes in 5 entertainment areas, is also a competitive option.
Disney+ has been rated the best streaming service for families by Good Housekeeping and Hayu was their choice for reality TV lovers. Britbox was the best for British TV content.
Which apps are bestsellers on Google’s Play Store?
At the time of writing, Zoom is the number one free app in-store, it’s become a favorite tool during the pandemic to stay in touch with loved ones and colleagues. Disney+ ranks top on the high grossing list.
The top paid-for game app was Minefield and the top-grossing option here was Pokemon GO. Word games and bingo were proving popular too.
It’s great that there will never be a time when there’s nothing to watch or do on your Android TV.