If you are tired of getting the Adobe creative cloud subscription just to use Adobe Acrobat, here are the best Adobe Acrobat alternative software that gives you all its functionality at an easily affordable price.
Since the invention of the portable document format, Adobe Acrobat has stood at the forefront of PDF editors due to its unique features. Adobe introduced PDF in 1933 and ruled the market as the best PDF editor, reader, and printing software. In 2008, the standardization of PDFs allowed many companies to develop and introduce their PDF editors in the market. Adobe Acrobat is a popular Adobe product, but because of its high cost and other limitations, it is better to use an alternative PDF editor.
People look for alternatives to Adobe Acrobat due to two main reasons. Either they don’t want to pay so much for a monthly subscription, or they don’t like the complex Adobe interface. In any case, we got you covered as we’ve listed the best 10 Adobe Acrobat alternatives. We ranked these PDF editors based on their unique features, pricing, compatibility, and pros and cons. Any software that has all Adobe Acrobat features and can rival its functionality at a more affordable price is listed in this article.
Best 10 Adobe Acrobat Alternatives
- PDF Agile
- Foxit PDF Editor
- Soda PDF Anywhere
- Nitro PDF
- PDF Architect
- PDF Expert
- Ashampoo PDF Pro 2
- PDF X-change Editor
PDF Agile is best for those who want an Adobe Acrobat alternative that doesn’t even cost them a third of what they pay for an Adobe subscription and has every PDF editing, reading, and full-featured PDF converter. It is at the top of our best alternative to adobe acrobat list due to its powerful features that allow users to work securely, read and edit PDFs, convert documents, and apply electronic signatures and stamps. Its PDF editing features alone are better than Adobe Acrobat.
With PDF Agile, users can easily compress their PDF files without losing quality. Its merge feature allows you to combine two or more PDFs. You can use its split feature to divide a PDF document and create new files by page range. The powerful OCR feature allows users to convert images into text, making it easier to export text from online reports. The user can use the annotate feature, redact information, and create presentations with PDF Agile.
Pros and Cons:
- Easy to edit PDF like editing on Word.
- Robust PDF converter: PDF to Word, Excel, PPT, Image, TXT, DWG, and so on.
- Powerful OCR to recognize text from images and now it can recognize over 22 languages
- Has a clean and user-friendly interface and advanced annotating, split, and compress PDF features.
- Excellent security management and customer support
- Offers a money-back guarantee within a month if the user is unhappy with its performance.
- Provide both free and pro plans.
- Not available as a mobile application.
- Doesn’t work on Linux.
6 Months Plan = 39$
Yearly Plan = 59$
Visit Website: https://www.pdfagile.com/
Foxit PDF Editor
Foxit has been in the market for nearly as long as Adobe Acrobat and is an excellent Adobe Acrobat alternative in terms of the number of features and affordable pricing. The Foxit PDF editor is also an amazing software mainly known for its inexpensive and high-quality PDF solution for decades. Users prefer Foxit for its compatibility with running on all popular operating systems, including Mac and windows. You can also use it on your mobile after getting its application from the app store.
The Foxit PDF editor makes adding images and attachments to PDF files much easier. In addition to editing and reading a PDF file, you get access to many annotation features with Foxit. You can use your handwriting to sign documents. You can also add headers and footers and convert documents in other formats into PDFs. It is also a great tool for team collaboration.
Pros and Cons:
- It converts files in any format, such as excel spreadsheets and ppts, into PDFs with a simple drag and drop.
- It gives the user access to advance conversion tools.
- You can try it with a free trial to test its features before getting a subscription.
- Suitable for collaboration in teams of any size.
- It doesn’t support some fonts during conversion.
- Users can only sign documents with a light-shade signature.
Windows, IOs, Android, Linux, Web
Foxit Phantom PDF Standard = 132$ annually, 139$ for one-time purchase
Foxit Phantom PDF Business = 99$ annually, 179$ for one-time purchase
Visit Website: https://www.foxit.com/pdf-editor/
Soda PDF Anywhere
Among all the best adobe acrobat alternatives, Soda PDF has the highest compatibility to run on any device as long as it has an internet browser. With it being a web application, users only need to visit its website, enter their profile id and password, and use all PDF editing, reading, and annotation features right away. Even its free version offers access to many amazing features. Its monthly plans are also affordable, and you can get them at a lesser price with its yearly plans.
Soda PDF editor has many productivity features such as bates numbering and cloud integration. In addition to its PDF editing, reviewing, and conversion features, the user can access e-signature solutions and OCR. Users also get excellent customer support as they regularly receive emails about new features, the latest updates, and tutorials. Users can pin their frequently used tools in the toolbar for better productivity to access them quickly.
Pros and Cons:
- It is a web-based application that you can use on any device with a browser.
- It gives you an easy-to-use interface.
- Cloud integration for team collaboration.
- It gives access to many quality features at an affordable price.
- Some features won’t work correctly.
- Sometimes the application crashes when it is updated.
It runs on all versions of Windows and devices
Home Plan = 10$/month, 48$/year
Business Plan = 20$/month, 120$/year
Premium Plan = 15$/month, 84$/year
Visit Website: https://www.sodapdf.com/
Nitro PDF is better than other Adobe Acrobat alternative software because it easily integrates with other workspace tools. People use PDFs to enable users to sign documents after listing the terms and conditions of an agreement between two parties. Nitro PDF allows them to edit, convert, create, annotate, and combine PDF files. With Nitro PDF, users can use e-signature functionality to create an automatic document signing workflow. They can access that workflow from any device. Nitro PDF is the best choice if you want to get software for a one-time fee.
The quick plug-in feature allows you to use Nitro PDF in other software. Users can easily combine and create PDF files with the Nitro PDF. They can also integrate it with cloud storage tools such as Dropbox, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and One Drive. The Nitro productivity platform also supports watermarking and multiple languages. It also enables users to track their task progress.
Pros and Cons:
- You can easily integrate Nitro PDF with the top workspace tools.
- Automatic document e-signature workflow setup.
- Excellent features for team collaboration.
- Only supports Windows operating system
- Features and support are restricted to its pro and premium users.
Compatible with Windows operating system
One-time purchase = 159$/feature
Monthly Plan = 9.99$/month
Visit Website: gonitro.com
PDF architect is one of the best Adobe Acrobat alternatives in the market that comes in four different versions. Its first version is free and has only a few basic PDF creating and reading features. Although there are limited features in the free version, users can use them anytime. It allows users to rotate, merge, and delete PDFs. Users need to buy the standard version to edit PDFs and access editing tools. It enables users to convert PDFs into other formats in one click.
Next is the PDF architect professional version. It includes all features of the standard version and additional features such as secure PDF workflow, review and comment on PDF files, and PDF forms. It is more expensive than the standard version. The last version is PRO + OCR. In addition to all the professional features, users gain access to the PC features to analyze and extract text from images. Users can only pay for the features they need.
Pros and Cons:
- Most premium features are available on the paid version.
- Affordable pricing makes it a great value PDF editor for money.
- Incredible features, including OCR scanning.
- It provides great customer support for the paid version.
- Many restrictions on the free version, including no PDF editing.
- Not the best user interface on the software
Windows and Web
Standard Version = 69$/year
Professional Version = 89$/year
Professional + OCR Version = 120$/year
Visit Website: https://www.pdfforge.org/pdfarchitect
Suppose you are an Apple or Mac user and want the best Adobe Acrobat alternative, then a PDF expert is your best pick. It is an amazing software available only for Apple users, with App versions for iPhones and iPads and a Mac version to run on Apple computers. It comes with a clean and simple UI, which is best for beginners. Users get a free seven-day trial where they can’t access its professional tools without obligation.
For those who like PDF Expert after its free trial, its subscription is easily affordable, and students can get it with special discounts. Some popular features of PDF Expert include the highlight tools that highlight PDF parts. Neatly arranged tools in the toolbar make it easier to complete tasks. It also allows users to add notes and directly draw onto the PDF using the Apple Pencil.
Pros and Cons:
- Best for iPhone and iPad users.
- Allows users to draw and edit PDF files directly.
- It gives you a free trial to check out its premium features.
- Only compatible with Apple devices and operating systems.
- You can’t use it on windows and android.
It only runs on Apple operating systems
Monthly Plan = 12$
Yearly Plan = 79$
Lifetime Plan = 139$
Visit Website: PDF Expert
Sejda is for those people who want an Adobe Acrobat alternative that provides them with many premium features without a cost. It comes in a desktop and an online version. The desktop version saves files on your computer’s local storage, while the online version saves files on cloud storage. The speed and number of features on both are similar so that users can choose the one best for them. Although it gives users access to premium features, there is a little catch. Users can only perform three daily tasks in the free version that might affect their workflow.
Aside from the task limit, there is also a page and size limit placed on the document. In the free version, users cannot work on files longer than 200 pages and bigger than 50 MB. One way to stop these restrictions is to buy a monthly membership or get a one-time week pass.
Pros and Cons:
- It provides excellent customer support for all users.
- Most premium features of Adobe Acrobat are available.
- Users can access some premium features in the free version.
- Available for your desktop and web.
- Users can’t access all editing features in the unique font.
- Places restrictions in the free version.
Compatible on Windows and web
Web Monthly Plan = 7.50$/month
Desktop Application = 63$/annually
Visit Website: https://www.sejda.com/pdf-editor
DocuSign is your best pick if you are looking for a convenient and affordable Adobe Acrobat alternative. The best thing about the DocuSign application is that you can get it on your phone and your computer, making it easier to remotely access and share PDF files even when you are out. You can easily access your entire data from your phone and share it under sudden requests. This feature alone makes it the best PDF editor for those who require all-time access to their data.
In addition to all other PDF solutions, its security management is also good. Because users can remotely access data from their phones, the software asks for credentials before any function. Its e-signature function allows users to sign with the DocuSign application, and the autosave feature saves users from trouble. It is best for team collaboration as any user can access it.
Pros and Cons:
- It makes it easy to share paperwork quickly.
- If you forget to save your document, it autosaves your work.
- You can easily send and receive documents for fast deals.
- Excellent security management with password-protected PDF workflow.
- Poor and slow customer support.
- When generating a PDF file, the software sometimes crashes.
Windows 8, android, windows phones, iPads
Standard Offer = 25$/month per user
Personal Offer = 12$/month
Business Pro = 40$/month per user
Visit Website: https://www.docusign.com/
Ashampoo PDF Pro 2
Ashampoo PDF Pro 2 comes with all PDF solutions and editor features any user requires. Users can easily manage, edit, and create PDF documents with its complete solution. It makes editing PDF files easier than editing word documents. It enables users to merge PDFs with a simple drag-and-drop. It supports multiple popular formats that allow users to convert files in other formats to PDFs and vice versa. Users can easily create photo albums and portfolios with Ashampoo PDF pro-2.
The functions you can perform with Ashampoo PDF include editing and creating interactive forms, conducting a side-by-side comparison of two PDFs, capturing perfect screenshots with the snapshot feature, and using its proper Bates numbering. Its easy-to-use interface provides a simplified text dialog. Use can view, comment, and edit PDF files in a single editing mode. All tool options in the toolbar are for the most used functions.
Pros and Cons:
- Enables users to find and change colors in the PDF.
- The recently used page operations appear in the toolbar.
- It gives you a PDF auto-repair feature.
- A universal Windows tool that also supports windows 11.
- Sometimes you see errors when converting PDF to other formats.
- It lacks some Adobe Acrobat features.
It runs on all versions of Windows
Download Pro Version in 29.99$
Visit Website: Ashampoo PDF Pro 2
PDF X-change Editor
Those who want a PDF editor with the latest features should try PDF X-change editor. It is a good Adobe Acrobat alternative that not only carries all the features of Adobe Acrobat but also introduces new features like virtual printing and PDF preview. Users can quickly try the software before purchasing a pack. The free version allows them to extend their trial to see and test all the professional features they will get after getting the professional pack.
PDF X-change editor is popular for its quality features such as annotation, PDF encryption, append files editor, PDF reader, and watermarking. It also supports PDF merge functions and digital signature and enables users to convert other files to PDF. The user interface is great, but there are no free tutorial videos about its features. The only thing keeping it in the tenth place is that it only supports the Windows operating system.
Pros and Cons:
- The free version does not limit the user to the basic PDF reader functions.
- Users can get it at an affordable price, providing great value for the money.
- Its team collaboration features make it best for business and office use.
- It does not provide all the features of Adobe Acrobat.
- When the software updates, it overwrites saved files.
Only runs on Windows Operating System
Single User Pack = 54$/year
3 User Pack = 156$/year
10 User Pack = 490$/year
Visit Website: https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor
This concludes our best 10 Adobe Acrobat alternatives list. Users select alternatives over Adobe Acrobat due to its expensive subscription. When choosing an alternative software or application, the things that matter the most are pricing, the number of premium features, and system compatibility. PDF Agile is the best overall Adobe Acrobat alternative as users can get it at an affordable price, it runs on Windows, Mac, and Online, and you get all features of adobe acrobat. Even its free version gives you a premium PDF reader and annotation features.