Without any doubt, Intuit QuickBooks is a pioneer in accounting solutions for businesses. This software has made managing all the accounting and finance related processes very easy. However, like in other software, the user may face issues in this too. One such issue is QuickBooks Error 3371. But the good thing is that the user can resolve this error on their own if the right steps are followed. Here, in this article, we will discuss how to resolve QuickBooks Error Code 3371.
When the QuickBooks Error 3371 Occurs?
In most cases, QB error code 3371 appears due to missing or damaged files. The files may get damaged probably due to improper shutdown when the software is open. However, there are several other facts related to this error code. When this error occurs, any of the following messages may appear on the screen:
- “Could not initialize license properties. Error 3371: QuickBooks could not load the license data.”
- “Could not initialize license properties. [Error 3371, Status Code -11118] QuickBooks could not load the license data.”
- “Could not initialize license properties. [Error: 3371, Status Code -1]: QuickBooks could not load the license data.”
The error message will be shown in the popup box as shown in the image below.
After clicking on the OK button, one more dialog box will open up showing the message as shown in the image below.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 3371
When the QuickBooks software is installed on your system, license information is stored on the hard drive. Now, when because of any reason this information becomes corrupt, then the user faces this issue. In order to make it understood easily, we have mentioned a few factors that can lead you to encounter QuickBooks Error 3371.
- Damaged Or Missing Qbregistration.dat File: This file basically stores the license information of the software. If anyhow this file gets damaged, then you may see the error 3371.
- Damaged Or Lost MSXML component: This is a very important file and it relates to Windows Operating System. This file is responsible for running QuickBooks Desktop on Windows. In case, if this file gets damaged or lost, then you are going to face this error.
- Many times, incomplete or failed Windows updates can cause this error.
- Some antivirus program’s interruptions may also lead to this type of issue.
- Crash com error in QB Desktop can cause this error to occur.
Resolving QuickBooks Error Code 3371
Before diving into the troubleshooting steps, it is recommended to create the backup of your data first.
Method 1: Delete the ECML File
- Press the “Window + R” on your keyboard and enter the “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8”.
- Now, the Windows Explorer will open up.
- Find the .ecml file as shown in the image above and delete it.
- After deleting the file, close the window and Run QuickBooks and Register the product again.
Method 2: Update your Windows Operating System
In case, the above method doesn’t work for you, then check whether your Windows OS is updated or not. In case, if you are using the obsolete Windows version or upgrades are not installed, then the error will persist even after following the troubleshooting steps correctly.
- Click on the Start button.
- Next, select All Programs.
- Then, click on the “Windows Update” and then click on the “Check for updates” button.
- After that, reinstall and update the QB Desktop.
Method 3: Perform a Clean Install
If both of the above methods have not worked for you, then try out the steps mentioned below:
- After checking for the Windows update, set up the QuickBooks software.
- Once the software has setup, recreate the damaged entitlementDataStore.ecml file. This will resolve the license and registration issues.
- Then, click reinstall and make sure to perform a clean installation of QuickBooks desktop as shown in the image above.
Method 4: Resolve The Issue With QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
This issue can be resolved by running the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- First, install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After the QuickBooks Tool Hub has been installed, open it and select the Installation Issues as shown in the image below.
- Then, select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and run it.
- Now, the tool will run and detect the problem. After the process is over, restart the PC.
Method 5: Rename The Entitlement File
If all the above methods are not working for you, then changing the name of the entitlement file may work for you. To do so, follow the steps given below. The steps for renaming the entitlement file are slightly different for Windows XP and Windows 7. Steps for both are mentioned below, you can choose accordingly.
For Windows XP users
- Click on the Start button, and then select Run.
- Now, enter “C: Documents and Settings AllUsersApplication DataIntuitEntitlemeny Clientv2” in the input field. Basically, this is the path to locate Entitlement DataStore.ecml file.
- Next, click on the OK button.
- Finally, rename the Entitlement DataStore.ecml file and the issue will be resolved.
For Windows 7 users
- Similar to the above process, go to “C:ProgramDataIntuitEntitlement Clientv*” and rename the Entitlement file.
- Now, when you will open the QuickBooks, a new file will be created automatically for the user.
- In case the user is unable to see the program data folder, then the below steps can be followed to unhide the same.
- Sometimes, the program data folder may be invisible. In that case, unhide all the files and folders.
- Now, open the QuickBooks and check if the issue is resolved.
So, this was all about QuickBooks Error 3371. Implementing these steps to resolve this issue does not require any deep software knowledge. Try out the above methods and troubleshoot the QB Error 3371.
Also Read: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 12031?