The Amazon Fire TV/Firestick is one of the most popular streaming devices out there from one of the most reputable companies in the globe. Similar to the Roku Streaming Stick, you can stream countless channels to your TV, including Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video, among many other channels that are both either popular or uncommon. The Amazon Firestick also comes with a remote control, which you can use to navigate through the different channels available with convenience.
As you can imagine, having this remote is incredibly important for the best Fire TV user experience. However, things just don’t go our way sometimes and you may find yourself losing your remote or breaking it by accident. There are also some instances when the remote you receive is already broken from the box. In these cases, don’t worry—take a minute to consider whether your Firestick is still in warranty.
What if Your Fire TV/Firestick Is Still Under Warranty?
If your Firestick remote is still under warranty, then that’s great! You can simply order a replacement from Amazon in just a few simple steps. Here’s what you need to do to get your Fire TV remote replacement.
- Head over to your Amazon orders page through the drop-down menu.
- Click on the option that allows you to either return or replace your item.
- Then, choose “Fire Stick” as the product you want to return.
- Choose an appropriate reason as to why you want a replacement, stating that you receive a Fire TV remote with built-in defects or manufacturing issues. You must also mention that you just want the remote replaced and not the entire Firestick.
- On the next screen, you’ll be given an option to discuss your concern with one of Amazon’s Technicians. Provide your contact number in the field.
- Wait for the technician to call. Once they do, fully describe what problem you’re facing with your Firestick remote.
- If the technician finds that your concern is eligible for a replacement, you’ll definitely receive a new remote.
5 Popular Replacements
It would be great if you could get a replacement remote from Amazon due to warranty, but what do you do if your Firestick is no longer in warranty or if your issue with the remote is not eligible for a replacement? In this case, you’ll have to find an alternative remote you can use.
Of course, you always have the option of finding the same exact Fire TV remote you once had from either digital or brick-and-mortar stores. But if you want to try something else, these 5 remote replacements are some of the best ones out there.
1. Amazon Fire TV App
If you no longer have a physical remote, why not take things virtually? The Amazon Fire TV App is the corresponding remote app for the Fire TV, which allows you to navigate through the different channels and programs by just using your handheld device. Whether you have an iOS device, an Android, or the Fire OS, you’ll still be able to download this app.
For hassle-free navigation and text entry, the Amazon Fire TV App also comes with an on-screen keyboard. This is definitely more convenient than hunting for letters using a physical remote. The app also comes with voice search, but this feature isn’t available in all countries.
2. Alexa Voice Remote
It may be another physical remote, but the Alexa Voice Remote offers ease of use, especially because it has power, volume, and mute buttons. In other words, you have access to all the controls you could possibly need to that you can just sit back and relax. As the name implies, you can even get assistance from Alexa—with just the press of a button, you can request Alex to play, manage, or find content or channels for you.
It offers playback controls too, which means you can skip through scenes if they bore you and head right to your favorites.
3. CetusPlay Remote App
The CetusPlay Remote App is yet another virtual remote that’s compatible with the Firestick. If you didn’t like the official Amazon Fire TV App remote, then you can give this one a shot. The interface is user friendly and is simple enough to understand for most ages.
With just the tap of your device’s screen, you can easily launch TV apps with CetusPlay. There are multiple navigation modes available, which is why it’s such a popular remote alternative. These supported navigation modes are Keyboard mode, Mouse mode, Touch Pad, and Direction-Pad.
4. Amazon Fire TV Game Controller
If you want something less than ordinary to navigate through your Fire TV, you can use the Amazon Fire TV Game Controller. It’s not just for gaming—you can use it to search for movies and even music conveniently. The game controller has a comfortable design, which allows it to fit within your hands naturally. If you’re a gamer and want something more multi-purpose, then this controller may be worth a try.
However, it’s worth noting that it’s only compatible with the standard Fire TV Stick and not the 4k Ultra HD version.
5. Sideclick Universal Remote
Last but not least, you can use the Sideclick Universal Remote as Fire TV remote replacement. Since it’s a universal remote, it’s compatible with the Firestick and offers convenient and seamless navigation. The remote’s design is slim and classy, and you shouldn’t encounter any issues in connecting it to your Firestick. It even comes with its own voice search feature so that you don’t have to keep pressing on the buttons.
How to Pair an Amazon Firestick Remote
Once you have your Amazon Fire TV remote replacement, you’ll need to pair it first. The process is straightforward, so simply follow the steps below carefully.
- On your Firestick remote, find and press the Home button.
- Click on the Settings menu, which can be found on the topmost portion of your screen. If you don’t see this menu, simply press on the Up button repeatedly until you see that Home has been highlighted. From there, press on the Right button until Settings is highlighted.
- Head over to the Controllers & Bluetooth Devices category in the Settings.
- Choose Amazon Fire TV Remotes in the available options.
- Select Add New Remote. Your Fire TV will begin looking for new discoverable remotes.
- While the Fire TV is searching, press and hold the Home button for a minimum of 5 seconds. Your new remote will be shown on the list once it has been discovered.
- Confirm the new remote by pressing the Select button using the old remote.
- Your new or replacement remote should appear on the list. You can actually pair a maximum of seven new or replacement remotes.
If your Fire TV Stick stops working, there’s no need to panic. There’s a variety of options for you if you’re confused on which step you should take next. Well, if your Firestick is still under warranty, then definitely consider getting a replacement remote from Amazon. If it’s not eligible for a replacement, then you can consider other options, such as the virtual remotes using mobile apps or alternative physical remotes from other brands that work just as well.