Windows 10 is now officially available for the users, but not as a free upgrade for all its users. It is not yet perfect and still checking out for the novelty factor. Instead of taking risk by installing a new production machine immediately after the major release of Windows 10 OS, using it on Virtual box is the best technique for the time being. As everyone are highly interested to try out all the latest features on the new OS, setting up Windows 10 on a Virtual Box is the best way. This helps you to check out all the new features on Windows 10 without putting the productivity in jeopardy. Here is a detailed guide that helps you to install Windows 10 on Virtualbox.
Steps to Install Windows 10 on Virtualbox
Installing a new OS inside a virtual machine is always a good technique that doesn’t affect your system. Virtualbox is a free virtualization software that enables you to run Windows 10 on your current working device. Later, you can remove it if you wish to continue with your existing OS. All this process takes about 30 minutes or may be longer depending on the speed of your system. Here are the simple steps that helps you install Windows 10 on Virtualbox.
Step 1: Download Windows 10 ISO file
- Firstly, download Windows 10 by navigating to the download page and select the edition that you wish to download for your device.
- Just click on ‘Confirm’ after choosing the edition. Select the language and again click on ‘Confirm’.
- Later, you will be asked to choose the versions of Windows 10 (32-bit or 64-bit). You can select any of the version based on your system requirement that works for your setup.
Click Here: Download Windows 32 Bit ISO
Click Here: Download Windows 64 Bit ISO
Step 2: Download and Install Virtualbox
- Download the latest version of Oracle VM VirtualBox which is the free virtualization tool that helps you run Windows 10 on your device.
- Oracle VM Virtualbox is a free open source software.
- Go through the entire installation process and launch the application.
Click Here: Download Oracle VM Virtualbox
Step 3: Create New Virtual Machine
- After installing the Virtualbox, run the file and click on the ‘New’ button.
- Enter the name of your virtual machine (Eg: Windows 10 VM).
- The second field is the ‘Type’ that must be set as “Microsoft Windows”.
- Next, choose the version of your OS. Make sure that your 64-bit version is matching with the 64-bit VM and the x86 version with 32-bit VM.
Step 4: Allocate Memory
- You can now allocate the memory size (RAM) for the Virtual Machine based on your system configuration.
If you have x86 version, you’ll need at least 1GB of RAM.
- For the x64 version, you’ll need 2GB. Whatever the size you specify, make sure that you allocate the size within the range of 4MB.
- Be careful that if you allocate more size of RAM, it affects the performance of the system. Click on “Continue”.
Step 5: Specify File Location and Size
- Now, you need to specify the location of the file and size. Create a new Virtual Drive.
- By default, 16GB is the minimum space needed for the 32-bit version, whereas 20GB is required for the 64-bit version.
- Make sure that you have enough space on your actual hard drive so that it can handle the size of your virtual drive.
Step 6: Locate the Windows 10 ISO on VM
- Now, go into the settings for this virtual machine, and just navigate to the “Storage” tab.
- In the below image, you can view a disc with a green-colored plus symbol next to the “Controller: SATA.” Click on that icon and Choose Disk.
- Locate the Windows 10 ISO that you have downloaded it earlier and click on OK.
Step 7: Begin Installation Process
- Once the setup is finished and the drive is ready, click the Start button in VirtualBox toolbar.
- Begin the Windows 10 installation process. Just follow the instructions on the screen and it’s almost done.
- Meanwhile, you will be prompted for your credentials in order to log into your Windows 10 account.
Step 8: Install Guest Additions
- After successfully installing Windows 10 desktop, you’ll need to install the drivers for VirtualBox.
- In the VirtualBox User Interface, go to “Devices” and then select “Insert Guest Additions CD image”.
- Just navigate to that disc image in Windows Explorer, and run the installer.
- After completing the entire process, you’ll need to reboot the Virtual Machine.
- Finally, on the desktop, you can view the icon.
- In the VirtualBox menu, go to “View” and select “Switch to Fullscreen”.
- Now, You’re Done!
- Click here for Windows 10 keys and product activation
Follow these 8 steps so that you can install Windows 10 on the VirtualBox. Enjoy running new version Windows 10 on VirtualBox and check out all its new features.