Safety is crucial whether you’re playing your favorite FPS game or slots at online casinos. There are several security measures you can take, and one of them is using a VPN or proxy server. These mediums not only provide you with much-needed protection, but they are also useful if you would like to carry out your online gaming anonymously.
Either option is beneficial to players, but there are also certain disadvantages in the mix. This article sheds more light on both alternatives and how they work, alongside their pros and cons.
What is a VPN?
A VPN is essentially a WAN (wide area network) made up of two or more endpoints, one of which will be an actual server. To ensure efficient tunneling, VPNs adopt several top-tier protocols, including IPSec, L2TP, and SSL encryption.
With a VPN, you can mask your ISP and play games with 100% anonymity. Different VPN apps are available, and they are easy to access on your PC or mobile devices. With a VPN, you can begin enjoying online gambling NJ with the best slots and other casino games.
- Helps you avoid DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks
- Keeps your browsing activities safe on public Wi-Fi networks
- Stops the issue of bandwidth throttling, which is common with local ISPs
- Allows you to play an online game from any jurisdiction
- Protects you from swatting
- VPN usage is illegal in several countries
- Some VPNs monitor your data and sell it to third-party organizations
- Incompatible with popular gaming devices such as the PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo
What is a proxy?
A proxy acts as a middleman that handles requests from clients who demand resources from an online server. Using a proxy, you can access information on multiple servers remotely and securely. With this definition, it’s common to see people use proxies and VPNs interchangeably – because they share some semblance.
However, there’s a key difference. VPNs offer the highest possible security throughout an online gaming stint. This safety net also extends to other apps that access the web during this session. Conversely, a proxy simply tunnels internet traffic without any form of encryption.
- Provides anonymity during gameplay
- Allows access to geo-specific gaming content
- Allows you to control what other people on your network can access in real-time
- Improves site loading times and performance
- Since proxies cache browsing history, anyone with malicious intent can use them against you
- Proxies don’t offer encryption
- Several proxies might not be compatible with your local ISP
VPNs vs. proxies: which is better?
VPNs and proxies will give you some level of security during your gaming stint. However, VPNs are the better choice as they engage several protocols to achieve 100% encryption. Also, VPNs are compatible with most operating systems and can be installed directly from your device’s app store.
On the other hand, while you’ll need to key into a subscription to use a VPN service, most proxies are free. Additionally, proxies can boost your bandwidth, allowing you to achieve higher pings for seamless gaming.