If your computer has become infected with malware such as a PC virus, you may suddenly start seeing popup ads and other annoying adverts appearing in both your browser and on your desktop. There are lots of different types of malware out there, some of which are more harmful than others. One of the most annoying types of PC virus leaves a program running on your computer that displays ads that pop up while you’re trying to use your PC.
Getting rid of these unwanted ads can be difficult, especially if you’re not sure how they got there. It’s not impossible, however, and you simply need to follow a few steps. Follow our step-by-step guide on how to remove popups below. This guide won’t just help you to remove any popups and ads but will also allow you to prevent them from returning.
Removing Desktop Popups
If you’re getting ads popping up on your desktop, these could be notifications from programs you have installed on your PC, or they may be from malicious adware. The most common types of popups people get on their PC are their antivirus or Windows telling you to update your PC. These are harmless, but adware can be much more annoying, and you’ll want to get rid of it as soon as possible.
To get rid of adware popups on your PC, read a step by step guide:
- Run a malware scan using an antivirus program
- If you don’t already have an antivirus program, you should definitely get one to keep your PC free from malware
- Remove any found threats from your PC using the antivirus software
- Turn on your popup blocker by going into your control panel
- Go to “internet options” within the control panel
- Go to the “privacy” tab and check the box that says “turn on popup blocker”
- Choose the highest setting from the drop-down menu to ensure your computer blocks any unwanted popup
- Press OK to complete the process and save your new settings
Just be aware that changing these settings may also block some useful popups from appearing. If you find that you’re no longer getting notifications from legitimate programs running on your PC, you may want to adjust your settings and lower the settings slightly.
Removing Browser Popups
Popups within your browser tend to be a lot more common than those on your PC, and while they’re not quite as annoying, they can still be incredibly frustrating to deal with. Some popups are incredibly difficult to close and may play loud videos or music that are distracting and prevent you from using your browser normally. These popups aren’t just annoying though, they can also lead to further malware and encourage people to visit malicious sites that may steal your personal info.
Getting rid of popups on your browser may involve different steps depending on the browser you use, but generally, you’ll want to follow these steps:
- Open up your browser menu, which is usually found in the top right corner
- Go into the “settings” menu and find the “reset browser” option. This may be in “advanced settings” or “troubleshooting”
- Once you’ve reset your browser, it will remove all data, including bookmarks and any downloaded popups that may be causing issues
- You can download a popup blocker to prevent popups from bothering you in the future
- There are lots of free popup and adware blockers available on popular browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla
- Once you’ve downloaded your popup blocker, set it to block all popups to keep your browser experience free from annoying popups
Aside from stopping popups when they appear, you can also help prevent them by staying vigilant when using the internet. Most popups come from visiting sites that are infected with malware or from downloading links from unknown sources. If you stay smart online and avoid untrustworthy sites or links, you can prevent popups from appearing on your computer.
Try not to visit suspicious-looking URLs and avoid downloading torrents or opening email attachments from people you don’t know. However, even trusted websites and accounts can become compromised, so make sure you have good antivirus software and a popup blocker to stay safe.