During Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference in June 2017, Apple released its iMac lineup with faster processors, better screens, and more powerful graphics.
The iMac is ideal for someone who needs to buy a complete computer setup (keyboard, mouse, and display) and wants to maximize workspace efficiency. It can handle general-purpose and heavy-duty tasks equally well.
Apple says the new iMacs have the “best Mac displays ever,” upping the brightness to 500 nits. It also comes with higher memory capacity, super-fast storage, next-generation graphics, and a pair of Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Apple has two versions of the iMac: the standard iMac and the iMac with Retina display. Read on to know more exciting features packed with them.
Priced at $1,099, this Standard iMac has a 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of memory, and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 integrated graphics. With a 21.5-inch display and a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels, it can display millions of colors. It has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, four USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a gigabit ethernet port, and an SDXC card slot. It also comes with Apple’s Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2.
For new Mac owners, it is a good alternative to the Mac mini, providing a nice performance increase.
iMac with Retina display
Apple offers two 21.5-inch and three 27-inch models of the iMac with Retina display.
21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display
The 21.5-inch iMac with Retina display comes with 4096×2304 resolution screen that can display billions of colors. It uses the P3 color space, which is often used for digital movie projection and in the film industry. Also, these screens offer 500 nits of brightness, which is an increase over the screen in older iMacs.
The 21.5-inch iMac with Retina display comes with two variants:
- At $1,299: 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, 1TB 5,400-rpm hard drive, and 2GB Radeon Pro 555 graphics.
- At $1,499: 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1TB Fusion Drive, and 4GB Radeon Pro 560 graphics.
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
The 27-inch iMac with Retina display comes with 5120×2880 resolution screen. Like the 21.5-inch models, it uses the P3 color space and offers 500 nits of screen brightness. The machine has four RAM slots, accessible through the back.
Like Standard iMac, it has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, four USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a gigabit ethernet port, and an SDXC card slot. It also comes with Apple’s Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2. The Retina iMacs are among Apple’s fastest computers when it comes to single-core performance.
The 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display comes with three variants:
- $1,799: 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 1TB Fusion Drive, and 4GB Radeon Pro 570 graphics
- $1,999: 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 1TB Fusion Drive, and 4GB Radeon Pro 575 graphics
- $2,299: 3.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 2TB Fusion Drive, and 8GB Radeon Pro 580 graphics
At WWDC 2017, Apple announced its first new professionally oriented desktop since 2013, the iMac Pro. It won’t be out until December, but in the meantime, here’s everything you need to know about the upcoming iMac Pro.
- Priced at $4,999he iMac Pro is the computer for people who with the most demanding tasks. It is targeted at creative professionals, scientists, and software developers.
- Apple hasn’t specified which processors are in the iMac Pro, but rumor has it that they will be Intel Xeon processors.
- Apple says the processor in the iMac Pro will have Turbo Boost speeds up to 4.5GHz.
- The iMac Pro comes standard with 32GB of memory. The storage device is a 1TB SSD, with options for 2TB or 4TB.
- It has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, four USB 3 ports, four Thunderbolt 3 ports, a 10-gigabit ethernet jack, and an SDXC card slot.
If you want the fastest processing speed available, this is the Mac to get.