Reliance Jio Infocomm, who has launched its services in September 2016 has Revolutionized the internet speed and phone usage by giving their users unlimited 4G data, phone calls, and even SMS. It is the only ‘VoLTE-only’ (Voice over LTE) operator in the country, which is used to transmit calls over LTE network. But all these Jio services have been restricted to VoLTE enabled Smartphones as it is a 4G only network.
Now, the company is introducing the ‘JioPhone,’ aimed at 2G feature phone users who have not been able to join the Jio 4G bandwagon because of the high costs associated with smartphones. The handset, introduced as “India ka Smartphone” is “essentially free,” though you will have to make a refundable security deposit of Rs. 1,500 at the time of booking. The amount will be refunded when you return your phone to Reliance Jio after 3 years.
The phone, whose bookings have started on August 24, is expected to be physically available from September 2017. For those, who are curious about the Jio Phone features and specifications, here we have provided it for you.
Jio Phone Features:
- Like Google Assistant, Apple Siri or Microsoft Cortana, JioPhone comes with voice-enabled search with Jio Assistant that allows you to open apps, search on Google, and even compose SMSeswithout touching your phone.
- Jio 4G mobile phone will come with many preloaded apps, including MyJio, JioMusic, JioCinema, JioTV, JioMoney, JioXpressNews, etc.
- You can choose your regional language from a long list of 23 languages including English, Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Tamil, etc.
- JioPhone also has the Emergency button. Long pressing the button ‘5’ will trigger the Emergency response.
- The JioPhone – TV Cable: The JioPhone just has a 2.4-inch display, which may not be the best device to enjoy Movies and TV with the Jio Services. JioPhone – TV Cable can be used to connect with any Television and enjoy multimedia on a big screen.
- As of now, the Jio Phone is only available in Black.
Jio Phone Specifications:
- Display: 2.40-inch
- Processor: 1.2GHz dual-core
- OS: KAI OS
- Front Camera: 0.3-megapixel
- Rear Camera: 2-megapixel
- Resolution: 240×320 pixels
- Battery: 2000mAh Li-ion Battery
- RAM: 512MB
- Storage: 4GB
- Device Type: Budget Phone
- Sim Type: GSM Nano-SIM
- Dual Sim: No
- Release Date: September 2017
- Type: Color TFT screen
- Screen size: 2.4 inches
- Resolution: 240×320 pixels
- Touchscreen: No
- PPI: ~ 167 PPI
- Rear camera: 2-megapixel
- Front Camera: VGA (0.3-megapixel)
- Dual Camera: No
- Flash: No
- CPU: 1.2GHz dual-core, SPRD 9820A/QC8905 Processor
- GPU: Mali400
- RAM: 512MB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- Expandable storage: up to 128 GB
- Expandable storage type: microSD
- Music: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, WBAMR, MIDI, OGG
- FM Radio: Yes
- 5mm Headphone Jack: Yes
- 3G: No
- 4G/ LTE: Yes (Supports Reliance Jio)
- Bluetooth: Yes, v 4.10
- EDGE: Yes
- GPRS: Yes
- USB: Yes, microUSB v2.0
- Wifi: Yes
- GPS: Yes
PROS & CONS of JIO Phone:
- Jio 4G phone is almost free.
- JioPhone supports Video Calling. It is just a feature phone and this is amazing.
- JioPhone will soon get a software update that will enable NFC on it, allowing users to pay with their JioPhone. You can connect your Bank Account, UPI Account, and even Debit and Credit Cards. This feature is not found in any other feature phone, and it makes Jio phone more like an intelligent device.
- No ‘Hotspot’ Feature: Jio phone will not have any Hotspot feature, so you can’t share your internet to other devices like laptop, Mobile, etc
- No ‘WhatsApp’ Support: The Jio phone does not have WhatsApp support at the moment, only web browser and Facebook available with the phone.
- Single SIM variant: Present Jio phone is a single SIM handset that works only on 4G VoLTE networks. Jio plans to launch a dual SIM handset later.
- According to sources, it has only one plan of Rs. 153. In that plan, you will get unlimited calling, unlimited SMS and 500 MB per day (not sufficient for exploring My Jio apps).
Jio Phone Delivery Date:
Reportedly, over 6 million Reliance 4G handsets have already been booked. According to a report in NDTV, Jio Phone deliveries will begin on Navratri i.e. September 21. According to details, Jio handsets are being imported from Taiwan. Some of the locations where Jio phones will land first are Ahmedabad, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and Mumbai
Jio Phone is the best fit for feature phone users. The entry-level JioPhone will come with best options compared to other handsets of its kind. There are no 4G featured phones available in market with unlimited calling (no roaming), SMS and data.