We may come across major things in our day to day life. Most of the times we fail to notice the strange thing in it. With the increase in technology, use of a computer which was a luxury once upon a time became a necessity. In the present situation of Tech world, there is no wonder if anyone says that computer is an essential part of a human. Though you may be using the computer for many days, most probably there would be many things which were unknown to you. If you are using the computer for many days, then here is a question for you.
Once notice the names of the hard disk drives:
Have you ever wondered why the names of drives start from “C”.
Where had the A and B drives gone?
Here is a clue for you. Do you know about the Floppy Drives? Just have a look at it.
Here is the answer:
- Hard disk drives became standard since 1980.
- Before hard disk drives, Floppy disk drives were used as the storage devices.
- Floppy disk drives were the initial storage devices. They came to existence since 1960’s.
- Floppy disks came in two sizes 5 1/4 ” and 3 1/2″.
- Those two floppy disk drives were labelled as Local Disk (A) and Local Disk (B)
- After the invention of Hard disk, floppy disk of size 8 inch came into existance.
- Presently Floppy disk drives and Floppy disk drivess replaced the floppy disks.
This is the reason behind the labelling of hard drives. As a result, drives other than default drive (C) labelled as D, E etc. DVD drive and USB drive are labelled as F, G and so on.
Though “C” drive comes as the default, you can change it to A or B if you have the administrative rights.