There are many methods that can allow you to take screenshots on a Dell computer. Each varies, depending on your operating system (OS). For example, lots of ways are available to take a screenshot on Microsoft Windows. However, there might be subtle differences for each version, i.e., Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Plus, this can be a bit different when you’re using a Linux OS on your Dell machine.
General Method — How to Take a Screenshot on Dell
Normally, it isn’t straightforward to take a screenshot on a Dell computer. Retailers and distributors don’t usually inform customers about this at the time they buy a Dell machine. So to help you out — Here are quick and easy ways that you can do to manually take a screenshot on a Dell laptop or desktop:
- The first step is to prepare the visual elements that you want to capture for your screenshot. You’re recommended to adjust the positions of the application windows that you want to focus on. Also, you’re advised to optimize the visual appearance of the sections that you want to include in your screenshot. Of course, take away anything from the current view that can compromise your privacy and security, especially if you intend to share your screenshots on the Web for public viewing;
- Second, press Print Screen on your keyboard. This is labeled as “PrtScn” in certain keyboards. Your computer’s entire screen will be captured and save in the clipboard of your OS. However, take note that in some Dell computers, you’ll need to press the Fn key before Print Screen;
- If you’re using Microsoft Windows, then the third step is to click the Start button, which is found on the lower-left corner of your desktop. Next, type “Paint”. This will initialize Microsoft Paint, which comes bundled with all updated Windows OS versions. However, if you aren’t using Windows or would want to use a different program, then you can open up your preferred image-editing application at this point;
- The fourth step is to paste the screenshot from your clipboard to the image editing program. You can right-click on the window of your image editing app and select paste in the menu, use the Save function in the program taskbar, or press CTRL+v on your keyboard. Your captured screenshot should now appear in the main window of your image editing application; and
- The final step is to save the screenshot. You can do this through the Save option in the taskbar of your image editing application, or simply press CTRL+s, which works in most image editing programs.
Quicker Method — How to Take a Screenshot on Dell with Windows 8
It’s much simpler and more convenient to take a screenshot on Dell when you’re using Microsoft Windows 8. Here’s how to do this:
- Again, the first step is to prepare the visual elements that you want to capture in your screenshot;
- The second step is to hold down the Windows key, followed by the Print Screen key;
- Third, press Windows key+e to initialize Windows Explorer. Then, go to your Pictures library, which is found on the left-hand side panel of the Explorer window. Also found here is a Screenshots folder, which automatically shows up when you make a new screenshot. Double-click on the folder to open it up; and
- Inside this folder are all the screenshots that you’ve taken. These will all be listed in the order that you took them.
Simpler Method — How to Take a Screenshot on Dell with Windows 10
It’s also straightforward to take a screenshot on Dell when you’re on Windows 10. Here’s how:
- As always, make sure that the visual elements you want to focus on are clearly visible in your screen. Also, don’t forget to remove anything that can compromise your privacy and security;
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, followed by the Print Screen key;
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing CTRL+e; and
- Go to This PC > Pictures > Screenshots (C:\Users\[username of logged in account]\Pictures\Screenshots). Then, find your new screenshot there.
How to Screenshot on Dell with Windows Snipping Tool
The Snipping Tool applet is a utility that comes bundled with updated Microsoft Windows OS versions, such as Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. This is a versatile program with lots of flexible functions for capturing screenshots in these platforms.
To initialize this software on your Dell computer, simply press the Windows key, and type “Snipping Tool”. Then, press Enter.
Once the program initializes, you can use your mouse or PC cursor to draw a rectangle around the specific visual elements that you want to capture in your screenshot. The Snipping Tool applet also allows you to draw a freeform shape around your regions of interest.
Plus, you can use this tool to select the window of a certain application that’s currently running in the foreground of your desktop. By doing this, you’ll be able to exclude all other visual elements that are currently displayed on your screen.
You’ll see the sections that you marked in the Snipping Tool’s main display area. This software also provides a highlighter pen, which you can use to make annotations or write down notes in and around your regions of interest. At this point, you can adjust the box that encloses the sections that you want to capture in your screenshot.
Also, there’s an eraser that allows you to remove erroneous annotations, markings, or adjustments that you made. Once you’re happy with how your selection looks, you can save it in a standard image format like JPG or PNG, which is then automatically stored in the clipboard. You can then paste it unto your preferred image editing tool.
How to Screenshot on Dell with Linux
There are just as many ways to take a screenshot on a Linux operating system as there are for Microsoft Windows. Here are the steps in Ubuntu, which is quite similar to what you need to do when taking a screenshot on a Dell computer that runs other Linux OS distributions:
- Open up the Activities menu, then click “Screenshot”;
- As mentioned earlier, prepare the visual elements that you want to capture. Of course, get rid of anything that you wouldn’t want to be included in your screenshots, such as confidential data and personally identifiable information; and
- Pick between a single window, a custom area, or the whole screen for your captured image.
Linux also lets you press ALT+Print Screen on your keyboard. This results in a screenshot. You can also use Shift+Print Screen to pick a custom area for your screenshot. Plus, you can add the CTRL key alongside any shortcut, in order for you to save the image in your clipboard.
Moreover, you can download a program called GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). This freeware allows you to capture a screenshot, edit the image, and annotate it. To use GIMP, you can do the following:
How to Screenshot on Dell with GIMP
- Open up your GIMP program;
- Go to File > Acquire Screen Shot. This will present to you a variety of options, including a function to capture the entire screen, or a window, and to set up a time delay; and
- You can then save and open up the image in GIMP to do some editing.
Alternative Ways to Capture a Screenshot on Dell
Using a Third-Party Application
If you’re looking for more options to screenshot on Dell, then the Apowersoft Free Screen Capture software is a suitable program for your needs. Using this tool, you can practically capture anything that’s displayed on your computer screen. Plus, there are loads of capture modes for you to choose from. You can go for a full capture application window, take a screenshot of a specific region, or capture the screen in full-screen mode.
This program also has a built-in image editor, allowing you to make changes to your screenshots. You can also share your images across your favorite social media sites through this tool. More so, you can use this program to store your screenshots in free cloud platforms.
Using this tool to screenshot on Dell is very easy. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the application;
- Allow the Java applet to start running;
- Go to Tools > Options to change the settings to your liking;
- Click on the Camera icon or press CTRL+q on your keyboard. When a crosshair appears, drag your mouse cursor to choose a region. Then, release the mouse cursor to capture the screenshot;
- You’re now free to modify and annotate the screenshot to your liking. Add some text, draw arrows and lines, among others;
- To save the image, click the Disc icon. The new screenshot will show up on your local folder; and
- You can also share, upload, or email the screenshot when you click the corresponding buttons found on the vertical toolbar.
Using Other Utilities to Screenshot on Dell
Greenshot is another free program that doesn’t take up too much space on your computer. This makes it excellent if you own a Dell computer with limited data storage resources. It’s a lightweight screenshot software tool for the Windows operating system, which includes these features:
- This software allows you to create screenshots of a chosen region in your computer, as well as a window or a full-screen shot. You are even allowed to capture a full Web page from browsers like Microsoft Edge;
- You can easily add highlights, make annotations, or block out portions of your screenshot; and
- The program enables you to share or upload the screenshot in a variety of ways. You can save it in your machine, send it to a printer, attach it to an email, copy it to a clipboard, or upload it to photo-sharing sites or social media networks.
DuckLink Screen Capture — Dell’s Built-In Screenshot Tool
There’s a screen capture program that’s explicitly made for Dell computers. It’s called DuckLink Screen Capture.
This program lets you take screenshots in so many ways. You can select the portion of the desktop that you want, pick a specific window to take screenshots, or go for the whole desktop. Plus, feel free to take screenshots on Dell manually if that’s what you want – You can do this through the program window, or you can assign a shortcut to any of this software’s options.
What is Dell?
Dell is a reputable company in the USA with lots of offices all around the world. They’re an established supplier of custom-assembled desktop computers and ready-to-use laptops. Their machines can also be configured based on your preferences.
Dell specializes in offering laptops and desktops for gaming, personal, and business use. Their latest machines often come bundled with the newest version of Microsoft Windows. However, some users prefer certain Linux OS distributions, such as Ubuntu, Debian, and others.
What Are Screenshots?
Screenshots are images containing the visual elements currently displayed in the monitor of a device. Taking a screenshot enables you to capture exactly what’s in front of you as you use your machine. These images can be shared with others, published on the Web, or used for a variety of content materials like tutorials and guides. For example, many open-source repository maintainers and tech support centers ask their customers to provide screenshots. This is so they can quickly understand the current issues that the user is encountering.