This tutorial is exclusively for Samsung S9 and S9 Plus users only. While both the devices boast of the best hardware and excellent performance, the power users are waiting for more outcome from the latest smartphones. After the launch of S9 and S9 Plus, Samsung has released the Kernel sources officially for both the flagships. Soon after the kernel sources were released, TWRP support has been released by a recognized XDA developer jesec. So, if you want to install a custom recovery and get root access, then you have to flash recovery your Samsung S9 and S9 Plus devices.
This rooting tutorial is tested and 100% working. So you can trust the guide and install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus without any issue. There are some other options like Patch image file or CF Auto Root that could root your Samsung S9 and S9 Plus smartphones using Odin tool, but flashing with TWRP is very easy and fast way to root a device. We have made sure that we will give enough details of each step so that a first time user won’t get confused.
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus:
Download TWRP Recovery Image Files for the Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus:
Note: This TWRP Recovery guide is only for Samsung S9 and S9 Plus. And don’t forget that, rooting your device may cancel your Warranty and you will not get any future OTA updates.
1. First, go to your phone Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information and tap on ‘Build Number’ seven times to enable developer options.
2. Now, go to Settings -> Developer options -> Enable OEM Unlocking.
3. Download and extract ODIN flash tool on your PC. Then run the odin.exe file as administrator.
4. Now, boot your Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ into Downloading (Odin) mode using the below key combinations.
(Power off >> Press & hold Volume down + Bixby + Power key together at the same time. Once you see the warning message, press volume up key again.)
5. Now, connect your Smartphone to the PC and Odin software will detect the device automatically and you will see ‘Added’ message in the log box.
6. Then, click the Options tab and uncheck Auto Reboot and check F. Reset Time.
7. Click on ‘AP’ and select file with ‘TWRP.tar’ file.
8. Check if everything is ok and click on Start button to start TWRP flashing process. Wait for few minutes and you will see PASS message on the top left side.
9. If the device stuck on Samsung logo, make sure you have loaded correct TWRP file for your device. Now, reboot your device into TWRP Mode.
How to Boot Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus into TWRP Recovery Mode:
Press and hold Power Key + Bixby + Volume Down Key simultaneously until the screen turns black. Once you see the logo, release Volume Down button and hold the Volume Up button while still pressing the Bixby button. This will boot your device and welcome you to TWRP Recovery mode. You can see the interface of TWRP custom recovery on your device.
After booting for the first time, TWRP will ask you to modify the system. So, to avoid it, follow the below process. Connect your phone to PC and copy the No DM-Verity zip file to your internal storage.
1. Go to TWRP home screen -> Install -> Install Image.
2. Select OEM Unlock File and Swipe right to continue.
3. After installation, tap on Install and Select DM Verity Disabler that you have copied.
4. Now, you’re done and ready to root your device.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus:
Now you are into the TWRP recovery, you will see system partition warning message.
1. In the main menu, go to Wipe -> Format Data and type ‘Yes’ and press enter.
2. Now, your data has been formatted, go to Reboot >> Recovery to restart TWRP.
3. After rebooting into TWRP, download the DM-Verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer, and transfer it to your smartphone. Then, head over to Install in TWRP and browse for the downloaded file and flash it.
4. Now that you’ve flashed the DM-Verity file on your smartphone, reboot the device. TWRP is initialized and fully functional at this stage.
5. Now, Reboot your device, and you’re done rooting your device.
Hope this guide helped you to gain full root access on your own Samsung S9+ and s9 mobile to apply different custom ROM, kernel, android tweaks & tricks and different mode apps etc.