QuickBooks is one of the best and most prominent accounting software. This software is well suited for large, medium and even small scale businesses for managing accounts and taxes. QuickBooks is renowned for offering on-premises accounting applications and cloud-based versions as well. It facilitates businesses to accept business payments, manage and pay bills, and perform the payroll functions. However, at times the user may encounter one or the other issue or error code associated with this software. Here, in this article, we will discuss one such issue that is QuickBooks Error H505.
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error H505?
Generally, the QuickBooks error H505 occurs when the user tries to switch to multi-user from the single-user in Quickbooks. This error is usually seen when the system is unable to connect with the server in the multi-user mode or there is something that is blocking you to connect with the server. It is a quite common error which can also occur when the user tries to access the company files which are available on another computer or when the QuickBooks files require some additional configuration.
To keep the software working properly, you need to fix this issue as soon as possible. However, before diving into the troubleshooting steps, let us understand the causes of the Quickbooks error H505.
Causes of QuickBooks Error H505
The QuickBooks Error Code H505 can occur due to any of the following reasons:
- Damaged or incorrect .ND file is the primary reason behind the occurrence of this issue. If .ND file is not functioning that implies the Quickbooks is not able to access the file on the specific network.
- Quickbooks services, such as – QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor inhibit this error from occurring. So, when these services do not work properly,you are likely to face Error H505.
- If the hosting settings are incorrect or not configured rightly, then the communication between QuickBooks and corporate files is blocked and gives rise to this issue.
- Error Code H505 occurs when the system is not able to get the correct IP address of the host computer or due to improper DNS settings configuration.
- The host mode of the server is not turned on.
- Firewall ports of Quickbooks are not configured properly. This results in a communication error between Quickbooks and the server.
Steps To Be Followed Before Troubleshooting Error H505
There are some steps which are recommended to follow before beginning with the troubleshooting steps:
- Create a Company File Backup
- Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Run Quick Fix my Program in QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Configure your Firewall Settings
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H505
Several methods to resolve QuickBooks Error Code H505 are mentioned below. Try out these methods to resolve the issue.
Method 1: Verify The Hosting Process And Services
Usually, the error code H505 appears in the multi-user environment where one system serves as a host. In that case, make sure that the hosting option gets turned only on the host system. So, verify the hosting process on each hosting system by following the steps given below:
- Open QuickBooks software.
- Next, in the File section, click on the Utilities icon.
- Now, you may see any of the 2 options:
- Host Multi-User Access: This option indicates that the hosting has been turned off and the computer is not hosting the file. Here, you don’t need to change anything.
- Stop Hosting Multi-User Access: If this option is visible, that means the workstation computer is acting as a host. Here, click on the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option.
- Now, in the Company section, there will be a File Must be Closed window. Click on the Yes button.
- Repeat this process for all the workstations and do not turn it off on the host computer.
- After that, try to access the company files and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 2: Verify The QuickBooks System Services
The QuickBooks error H505 can occur if the system services such as QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService are not running properly. So, you need to verify whether these processes are running by following the steps given below:
- Press the “Windows+R” keys to launch the dialog box.
- In the run box, enter “services.msc”, and then hit the “Enter” button.
- Alternatively, launch the task bar and navigate to the Services.
- Now, search for the QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService from the list. Just right-click on the services and select the Properties option.
- Next, go to the Startup type and set it to Automatic and close the dialogue box.
- Make sure that services are running and if the services are Stopped, then right click on it and choose Start.
- Now, open the company files to check if the problem is resolved.
Method 3: Configure The Host File
In order to configure the host file, first you need to find the IP address and computer name of the server and workstation, and then edit the Windows hosts file. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below. However, make sure that you have an Administrator Access.
- First of all, open “cmd” and type “ipconfig / all” in it, then press the Enter key.
- Now, note down the Host and the IP address as well.
- After that, you need to edit the Windows Hosts File. Exit from the QuickBooks and go to the Start section. Now, click on “This PC” and navigate to one of the following file directories.
- At last, right-click on the Hosts file and open the file in a Notepad.
- After opening the file, enter the IP address along with the Host name.
- Finally, save the new changes and close the notepad.
Method 4: Configure The Firewall Port Settings
Sometimes, the third-party antivirus or firewall can hinder the QuickBooks accounting software from accessing the internet properly as a result of which QuickBooks error H505 can occur. Hence, you need to configure the firewall settings to allow unrestricted internet to the application.
- Open Control Panel and go to the System and Security.
- Now, search for the Windows Defender Firewall and open it.
- After that, click on Advanced Settings.
- Next, click on the Inbound Rule and then go to New Rule.
- Then, select the Port and click on the Next button.
- Now, select the TCP option,then select the Specific local ports option.
- Finally, enter the Port for your QuickBooks year version.
- For QuickBooks Desktop Port Version:
- QuickBooks 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- QuickBooks 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- The QuickBooks 2019 and 2020 versions use dynamic ports. These port numbers are assigned during the initial installation or can be found by launching the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. In that, go to Port Monitor and get the port number.
- After entering the port number, click on the “Allow the Connection” option and then press the Next button.
- Next, select the network type and then switch from one network to another.
- Then, click on the Next button and repeat the same processes in order to change the Outbound Rules.
So, these are some easy methods to resolve QuickBooks Error H505. We hope that you have found this article helpful. Try out these methods and troubleshoot this issue.